Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I am only a part of Earth!!!

Photo Courtesy: Australia Zoo

Until a couple of years back, topics like Environment, it's Conservation and harmful effects of pollution were just boring essays. I used to find the topics extremely dry and I was plainly disinterested. Why, for that matter none of the most interesting programs on animals, their habitat or their lifecycle interested me.

A series of events changed my life and my way of looking at things. An article in The Reader's Digest about Steve Irwin and his passion for wildlife was one such event. The one thing I earned from the article was the long lost connectivity with Nature, our very own Mother Nature who creates and sustains us. I began to watch more and more animal diaries on television. These alien like creatures were no longer strange to me.
I once visited a wildlife festival conducted in town. There I had a chance to watch some of the wildlife videos shot by researchers. The experience brought me awareness of the animals that I didn't even know existed.

The need to conserve our environment is only getting stronger. The question is not about the survival of animals alone. It is a challenge for the survival of the living race.
Dinosaurs got extinct because of natural circumstances. Today, most of the wild animals that I learnt about, as a kid, are facing the threat of extinction. It is sad but true, we have only been, the most selfish creatures on the planet. Our definition of luxury and comfort has not only leaded to our destruction but has devastated the lives of all other species.

I hope we realize and help people realize that we are only a part of the planet and need to co-exist with our fellow creatures.

Don't wait until tomorrow, when you can act now!


*********************************************************************************
Some Tiget Facts (Info courtesy - Animal Planet)

The tiger is the largest member of the cat family. A symbol of wildlife conservation, it is a majestic animal with an orange coat, black stripes and white markings. It lives in tropical forests, where it is usually solitary and nocturnal. Its range once extended to Eastern Europe, but it now lives in scattered populations in southern and eastern Asia. It is threatened by poaching, habitat loss and loss of prey species.

IUCN Status: Endangered
USFWS Status: Endangered
Major Threat: Poaching, habitat loss and loss of prey species
Habitat: Various habitats including rain forest, deciduous forest and coniferous forest
Location: Southern and eastern Asia
Diet: Mainly large, hooved animals

*********************************************************************************

4 comments:

Srividya V K said...

Its is time to sit up make manke note of how our selfishness is making our world melt...
Very powerful write up.....

Unknown said...

.somshekar"I hope we realize and help people realize that we are only a part of the planet and need to co-exist with our fellow creatures"......
This really moved me and does make me realize this fact tht i haad forgotten... Great divz theres lots to leverage from you
:-)

Divi said...

Thanks Sri and BS. :=))

Chaitra Sriram said...

hey Divi! A wonderful write-up i must say. i wanted to read more, but sadly it came to a close too soon i believe...waiting for more write-ups from you...carry on the good work!!! This awakening insight shared by you is immense and its echoing voice does reach our 'selfish' hearts and minds!!
Hats off!!

:)